Moby Duck (aka Canard Bourgogne)
- 2 whole ducks (4-4.5 lbs each)
- coarse sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Mrs. Dash "Original Blend" seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1 large onion, skinned & quartered
- 4 pieces of celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 apple, cored & quartered
- 1 orange, quartered (leave the peel on)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Pinot Noir (Pour a glass for yourself at the same time)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Cooking time is about 10-15 minutes a pound.
Note: I highly recommend that you marinate the duck in the seasoning for a couple hours or even overnight. If you can't, don't worry, it'll still be great!
1) Wash the ducks and cavities well and rub the body cavities lightly with sea salt and pepper, minced garlic, and Mrs. Dash seasoning.
2) Stuff the cavities with the pieces of onion, apple, orange and celery.
3) Rub the ducks with the soy sauce and oil.
4) Place in a baking pan and roast, uncovered, basting often with Pinot Noir, about every 10 minutes.
5) Remove from oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Don't skip this, as you want to let the juices integrate back into the meat.
6) Remove the stuffing before serving. Cut into pieces and serve on a platter with some nice garnishes. If you want to be a little fancy, remove the breasts from the bone and slice into pieces. Use a sharp knife so you don't tear the skin.
Note II: If you're not comfortable cutting up poultry, buy a good pair of poultry scissors (aka shears), they will make life very easy. Wusthof makes great ones from $20-70 dollars.