Mark's Italian Seared Sea Scallops
- 1 1/2 lbs large fresh sea scallops, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or Japanese Panko crumbs)
- 2 tbsps salt
- 3 tbsps finely chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tbsps lemon pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (reserve some whole for garnish)
- 3 lemons (reserve some lemon wedges for garnish & plating)
1) In a large bowl (I use a big zip-lock, it's cleaner and no mess), mix together flour, salt, oregano, thyme and lemon pepper. Shake scallops in flour mixture until lightly coated on all sides.
2) Heat generous amount of olive oil in a skillet or frying pan over high heat. Add 8 scallops to the pan and sear on all sides (about 1.5 minutes for each side, or until nicely caramelized), leaving space bewteen each of the scallops. Remove scallops from pan and place on a plate in the oven to keep warm until ready to serve. Repeat until remaining scallops are cooked. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and squeeze lemon juice over them.