Maddeningly Good Mango, Mint & Avocado Salad
- 4 tbsps packed dark brown sugar
- 4 fresh limes, juiced
- 1 4" fresh hot red chile, thinly sliced, including seeds
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tbsps chopped fresh mint
- 4 firm-ripe mangos, pitted, peeled, and cubed
- 3 firm-ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and cubed
Accompaniment: lime wedges
1) Whisk together brown sugar and lime juice in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved, then whisk in red chile, shallot, cilantro, and mint. Add mangoes, tossing gently. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
2) When ready to serve, add cubed avocados. Mix gently, preferably by hand.
3) Sprinkle fresh chopped mint over plated salad & garnish with one long stem of mint for each plate. Few things are more refreshing to eat on a warm summer evening.